Navigation (and other custom items) in DD4T 2 Java

Posted on Posted in DD4T, Java, SDL Web (SDL Tridion)

You might have noticed my recent blog posts are of a Java nature, and that’s not like me. I’m currently on a Java project, so that means everything is a fun new world of learning (and pain) ūüôā

On the project, one of the early tasks is navigation as you would expect. As I need to tackle this task soon, I started to look around the web for patterns and practices others have followed. Unfortunately I didn’t really find much information on navigation in DD4T Java (there are a few posts for .Net), so I decided I’d give it a go.

Before I start, I would first like to highlight a few caveats

  • I am not a seasoned Java developer. I am from a .Net background, so please don’t be too harsh
  • This is¬†a pre-release view of the research (and self-learning) I have been¬†doing in my¬†spare time. The code will probably look quite different by the time it makes it to production on my project.

Now, lets begin

Why Share so Early?

I decided to share this early for two main reasons:

  1. You can help me improve it
  2. Others working on Navigation for DD4T 2 Java may also be looking for ideas on how to get started

For the approach, I decided to follow the same pattern as DD4T employs for retrieving items from SDL, using factories and data binders. It makes it a little more future proof, when things inevitably change.

So far it all seems to be working quite well, however I do still have several todo’s in the code which need some¬†attention.

The Contract

I’m a fan of developing to a contract, to decouple my application tiers. So, the first step was to define¬†a Json structure I am¬†happy with, and make¬†that the¬†contract between SDL Web and my DD4T application.

The specifics of your Json contract are up to you (and your requirements), but here is a simple example

The Models

Now, working from the bottom up, I needed to define models to correspond with my contract. I ended up with

The Databinder

With the foundations in place, I needed to implement the data binding layer, to de-serialize my Json to POJOs.

I also added a factory, to plumb in the data binding process

The Factory

Keeping it plugable, next I created a factory

The Controller

I decided to go with a dedicated navigation controller

The View

The last piece of the puzzle (excluding the configuration) was the View.

For now I am outputting it via a JSP include. I plan to investigate the DD4t SmartInclude tag as an alternative.

The include

The View

The Configuration

With all the code in place, the last step was configuration.


Add a url-pattern to your dispatcher servlet mapping



Add the following section (replacing any x’s of course)

I hope this was¬†useful, and please feel free to ask me (tweet me as I’ll see it sooner) any questions.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *